Contemporary extension and conservation of the Belgian convent,
The Belgian Convent was started by Belgian nuns in the early 1900’s & the convent at Kodaikanal was constructed in 1916. The nuns opened a school next door to the convent, St. John’s, and ran it for the underprivileged.
Apart from the conservation, Dharatal undertook the designing of the extension of the hostel of the tribal girls who come to attend St. John’s Convent school from the nearby mountain villages and cannot travel back and forth due to dangers posed by the wildlife and terrain.
The extension was designed to match the existing architectural features while following the site gradient and providing the hostel inhabitants with a private open courtyard.