Contemporary extension and conservation of the Belgian convent,
The Belgian Convent was started by Belgian nuns in the early 1900’s & the convent at Kodaikanal was constructed in 1916.
The nuns opened a school next door to the convent, St. John’s, and ran it for the underprivileged.
Dharatal undertook documentation of the heritage property and drafted a phased conservation proposal. The conservation restoration and extension were planned after study of chronology of construction and archival research.
Original stone façade and pitched tiled roof was proposed to be restored. An extension to the hostel block was planned as well.